School’s Out For Summer, what a great song by Alice Cooper. It also marks the beginning of summer vacation. I thought I would give you a few tips on keeping your home safe while on vacation.
The best way to safeguard your house while you’re away is having a friend and family member stay in your home. Make sure they follow your routine putting out the trash and cutting the grass etc.
If you can’t arrange for a house sitter then be sure to take some of the following steps:
- Have the post office hold your mail. If your mail box is overflowing this is a dead giveaway that you are not home. And don’t forget to stop the newspaper delivery.
- Get a neighbour or family member to check on your house every couple of days to pick up any flyers and water the plants.
- If you are diligent about your landscaping and cut your grass weekly make sure you continue that routine. Hire a service to take care of that as an unkempt yard is a definite sign of an owner’s absence.
- Try to make your home look lived in. Put interior and exterior lighting on timers. Also get a neighbour to put out your garbage cans and bring them in after they are emptied. This will make everything appear as normal.
- Make sure all doors and windows are securely locked. You should also disconnect the auto garage door opener so it can’t be opened with a universal remote control.
- In the age of modern technology many home owners tell the world they are going on vacation on facebook etc. You never know who is reading your posts so be careful about what you say.
- You could always have a security system installed to protect your home which is a good investment at any time.
I hope these tips were helpful. Please take the time to secure your home while on vacation as this will greatly reduce the opportunity for someone to break into your home. Happy vacation everyone!